Will it be able to.....?

Post the activities you already have used Real Time GPS Tracker for and your ideas what it could be used for.
mjean

Will it be able to.....?

Post by mjean »

I downloaded this app recently and am testing it out on my mom and sister and boyfriend to see how user friendly it is before I set off on a trip coming up to Nepal. We are NOT techie people. We only know how to push those basic buttons and if things don't work, we have no idea why or how to fix it. So, with that being said, so far so good for us simpletons!

Here's some questions:
1. When I take my phone overseas (currently in U.S.) and land in Kathmandu Valley of Nepal, will I be able to get the same service that I do here?
2.What kinds of networks does it work on and not work on? 3G, 2G, something else that I don't know about? Or is it not about your app, but about which phone I have?
3. When it's tracking, is it using my data allowances on my phone plan? That would be expensive internationally. Or is just connecting to Satellites? No data use?
>3b. sub question to above. If I wanted to send out a text or email with my location, then I AM connecting to data, right? and would need to be able to connect to a network?
>>3c. HOWEVER, I notice that once I send the link to a friend, I only have to send it once, because your snazzy app continues to update my position and that link always opens the newest information of my whereabouts.
4. Biggest question i suppose: As I'm hiking in the Himalayas, and as long as my phone is turned on, even if it there is no network coverage, will this app work and my loved ones can see my progress and that I'm safe?
5. I mean, why would anybody buy those expensive personal GPS tracking gadgets and have to buy a yearly subscription if they can just download a free app?!

I think that's it for now!

Thanks a bunch!!

MJB
admin
Site Admin

Re: Will it be able to.....?

Post by admin »

Hi,
thanks for your message.

1.) I've never been to Nepal so I don't know if you can use cellular phones there. I assume at least in bigger cities it is possible but actually I have no idea.
2.) The app works as soon as it has internet access. It doesn't care if it is 2G, 3G or WLAN. It depends completely on your phone. The app needs internet access because otherwise it cannot post your current location to the server.
3.) There definitely is data use and you are right that would be expensive internationally. For determining your position the app can use the GPS signals from satellites. But for posting the results to the server it needs your data connection. Posting the results to server is absolutely necessary otherwise your friends cannot see your position on the map.
3b) For sending email you also need a data connection. For sending text you don't. But of course you need a cellular service in both cases.
3c) Yes, you need to send the link only one time so your friend can know the correct URL to type in the browser. Actually you don't need to send the link at all. You can also call your friend and tell the URL. Nevertheless, the app can only update your position if it has a working data connection. Without a working data connection your friends cannot track you live.
4.) Sorry, I'm afraid the app won't work as you expect because I assume there will be no data connection in the Himalayas. You will be able to see your position on your screen but your friends won't be able too see your position. IMPORTANT: You should really be aware that permanent use of GPS drains your battery. So use this app only if it's possible to charge the battery. Without charging your battery will be empty within a few hours.
5.) I don't know if very expensive gadgets work better (maybe someone other in the forum knows). But many hikers use their GPS to see their current location on screen (which will work even without cellular service). They don't need to make their location available to their friends at home so they don't need the cellular service in the mountains.

Hope I could answer all your questions. Sorry if not all answers are that positive. Nevertheless maybe you will find some occasions when my app will be useful for you. At least I hope so.