Continual adjust for battery

Use this forum to discuss your feature requests.
markmonnin

Continual adjust for battery

Post by markmonnin »

I love this app and I plan to use it to share my location for people to find me or know when I'll be home while I'm running. I've noticed the biggest factor is the update interval. My suggestion is to have an option where the user can select how much time they want to use the app for (a marathon should take me about 4 hours), and have the app monitor the battery level, number of GPS coordinates retrieved, and number of times contacted the server so it can find the average and choose settings to last exactly as long as needed (or choose minimum/maximum settings if the length of time is unrealistic). Another thing to consider would be to watch out for battery level increasing because of charging. The setting would need to default then, until the battery is no longer charging - at which point just assume the time needed starts over.

The goal here is allow people to follow my progress through the marathon with as many updates as possible, but with the phone lasting the entirety of the race. I'd choose to last 5 hours so I'd have some battery left when I finished - this is not something that should be considered, except perhaps a goal battery percentage setting where I'd set it to 20%.

This seems like a feature that would help a lot of people get the battery life they want. If they want the battery to last one day, they would just have fewer updates than I would during my marathon.

I think this sounds like a simple and useful feature. I assume you'll just need to log the usage and battery level, then use the data to calculate appropriate settings.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Continual adjust for battery

Post by admin »

Hi,
That's an interesting idea but I think it's difficult to implement. Nevertheless I will think about it if it is possible.