ability to see who is tracking you

Use this forum to discuss your feature requests.
clegate

ability to see who is tracking you

Post by clegate »

the ability to see who is viewing you at any given time. Example: Guest or friends names.
sandtrack

Re: ability to see who is tracking you

Post by sandtrack »

Yes this would be really nice to be able to see the viewer(s) name :!:
Thanks!
clegate

Post by clegate »

Any update on the feature?
the reason I ask is because at time's my GPS will turn on and the program will show as if someone is tracking me, and I know for certain that no one currently has the application open and is tracking me, this feature would come in handy in finding out who, or what device is causing it to turn my phone on.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, this feature is not planned for the near future. Does this happen often? Have you set a guest password?
diale

Post by diale »

I too could really use this feature. I have six family members using the system to track each other and occasionally someone will push the running application to the background instead of closing it. The GPS doesn't come up at all unless someone is looking at tracking in real-time, however when someone pulls it up everyone goes into a 15 second polling cycle. If someone should inadvertently leave the application up and running it will slaughter the battery on everyone's device in short order. Identifying who is querying the pool would be most helpful in troubleshooting.
sandtrack

Post by sandtrack »

This is exactly the the reason why I asked for this as well. Battery draining because of some of my added friends leaving the browser window open or not logging out of it. So the tracking starts to update "in real time (15sec. in my case)" which would be perfect if some is actually looking but in this case it would come really in handy to actually see who is or who are the viewer(s). Unfortunately this draining issue is one of the main reasons for me why I can't use it as a substitute for latitude although in most all of the other aspects this tracker is a lot better than latitude ever was.
I would really appreciate if you could look into this "ability to see who is tracking you" option. :)
:!: :!: :!: BIG thanks for all the development so far! :!: :!: :!:

If anyone else is suffering form that as well it might be nice to leave command and bring this to a higher attention level....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
I will think about it. Currently I see 2 problems.
a) It's much effort because some interfaces have to be redesigned
b) Probably it won't solve your problem because I assume that most viewers use your guest url so they are anonymous. If they login with their own tracker there is already a hint because their tracker will update their own location. So you need just to check their last update timestamp.

One more question: If anyone of you has the problem again having a guest viewer causing battery draining could you please shutdown the app and restart it? Are you sure that there is a permanent guest viewer or did just the update of the guest viewer counter fail?
sandtrack

Post by sandtrack »

Hi,

In the past when I had the draining I called my fiends and in most of the cases it was a friend who was stilled logged on in a browser tab with his username. So it would have been easy to find out if it was displayed in the app.
Besides that it would be a nice feature being able to click on the "viewer: # " section in the app and a popup would display the name(s), maybe something like the one which pops up when clicking on a friend position...

But I understand from your reaction that this might be much effort to realize.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I will have a look at it.
clegate

Post by clegate »

I believe to have solved my problem (has not happened for awhile). I have the app also installed on my tablet for viewing my other family members, and what was happening is when I excited the app by home button or back button it would run in the background. I solved the issue, by running a macro on my tablet to kill the app when i turned the screen off.