Battery Level

Use this forum to discuss your feature requests.
Jabbatron

Battery Level

Post by Jabbatron »

Is it possible for the battery level information to be submitted to the website while GPS tracking? It would be really handy for my new dog tracker phone .

I was thinking if it could be displayed on the page that shows the long/lat gps accuracy page would be great if its possible .

Thanks
Damien
admin
Site Admin

Re: Battery Level

Post by admin »

Thanks for your wonderful user experience story I like your story very much. I decided to add the battery feature so your dog always knows when to charge the battery
Jabbatron

Post by Jabbatron »

Tomorrow i should have an excuse track her again while I'm out working on a farm . The battery life feature will help me fine tune the gps settings to get the best battery life/update interval's. Ill send you a bit of a donation for writing such a sweet little app!

Here she is showing off her new phone, she's exhausted from hours of hunting the day before!

All tuckered out

I wanted to see where she goes when she manages to escape from my yard so i let her out and sat inside and watched, turns out she goes into peoples back yards and everything, no wonder i could never find her when i go looking! Ignore the straight lines, i forgot to clear my driving tests .

The only other feature I would love to see one day would be increasing the update interval of the phone when someone is actually logged into the website watching the GPS stream (stealing the idea from instamapper) That way some more conservative settings could be used when no one is watching. Possibly making the two settings user definable...

Anyways i can't wait for the new battery feature, thanks .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Thanks again for your great posting. I've already received your donation and I again want to say "Thank you". I've already started implementing the battery feature, I hope the new release will be available in Android Market before next weekend.
Maybe I will also implement your second feature request (you wrote "increasing the update interval of the phone when someone is actually logged", I assume you mean increasing the the "update frequency" which means decreasing the update interval, right?). I think this feature also makes sense so the chances are not so bad that I will add it. However implementing this feature requires quite much time, so I can't say when it will be available.

By the way, because of your donation you are allowed to use the non-free feature "track loading". If you are interested just send me your username (either via forum or email).
Jabbatron

Post by Jabbatron »

admin wrote: Maybe I will also implement your second feature request (you wrote "increasing the update interval of the phone when someone is actually logged", I assume you mean increasing the the "update frequency" which means decreasing the update interval, right?). I think this feature also makes sense so the chances are not so bad that I will add it. However implementing this feature requires quite much time, so I can't say when it will be available.
Thats exactly what i meant .
admin wrote: By the way, because of your donation you are allowed to use the non-free feature "track loading". If you are interested just send me your username (either via forum or email).
I might as well give it a try, my username is jabbatron, same as the forums .

I'm having one issue today, when i enabled the GPS tracking after about 60seconds its coming up saying 3g data connection not available. I check the 3g connection and its working fine, i rebooted the phone and it started working for a minute or two then said check 3g connection again . Any ideas?

<edit> Fixed the connection problems, i changed the APN to the same one as my main phone and it works now. It looks like my provider was having some issues with one of its APN's :->´ />

<edit2> Ok, seems theres a weird issue. It gets 3g connection errors if the phones wifi is turned off, if i turn Wifi on (even if its not connected to a Wifi network) it starts working again. This is on a Samsung Galaxy 5. For now i've just left Wifi on and its updating every 60 seconds like i set.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
sorry for my late reply, I've just noticed that I've missed this posting. I can confirm that there was a service interruption last Monday because of a power blackout. So there is good chance that the 3G connection problem was not on your side but on server side. Please try again to connect.
Maybe you've already noticed that I've release a new version in Market supporting the battery feature. I hope it works as expected. If there is a problem just post a message.
Jabbatron

Post by Jabbatron »

Thanks, it came down automatically! Looks like exactly what i was after, thanks! Just switched it on to test it now . Is it possible to add the battery data to the logged points on the map?

Just tracking the dog now, phone is @ 20% battery. I havent charged it for a week... Best do that .
Jabbatron

Post by Jabbatron »

Here is her adventure today, fastest she got up to was 10-12km/h! She loves tracking kangaroos *shrug*. Battery level info is great, one less thing to worry about while she's out and about .

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jabbatron wrote:Thanks, it came down automatically! Looks like exactly what i was after, thanks! Just switched it on to test it now . Is it possible to add the battery data to the logged points on the map?

Just tracking the dog now, phone is @ 20% battery. I havent charged it for a week... Best do that .

Great it's working. The battery data cannot be added to the logged points because only the live battery data is stored on the server. No history is stored because the free space on hard disk becomes smaller and smaller. But I'm curious why outdated battery data could be useful for you.
Jabbatron

Post by Jabbatron »

admin wrote:
Jabbatron wrote:Thanks, it came down automatically! Looks like exactly what i was after, thanks! Just switched it on to test it now . Is it possible to add the battery data to the logged points on the map?

Great it's working. The battery data cannot be added to the logged points because only the live battery data is stored on the server. No history is stored because the free space on hard disk becomes smaller and smaller. But I'm curious why outdated battery data could be useful for you.

It would be useful to fine-tune how often the phone updates its position vs battery life. Either way its very handy having the battery level on the website, i knew when i had to remove the phone from her collar and re-charge it .