Random Guest URL

Use this forum to discuss your feature requests.
connor401

Random Guest URL

Post by connor401 »

Id like the ability to easily have a unique random guest url that is different for each session. I would use it if I am allowing a person to track me that wouldn't need to track me again. I've been changing the guest password to a random number everytime I use the app in order to accomplish this. It would be nice if this was a built-in feature.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Random Guest URL

Post by admin »

Well there is already such a feature available in the web portal to generate a random URL. Have a look at the "Track and Trace" feature. It is already on my TODO list to integrate into the app as well.
connor401

Post by connor401 »

I have seen that feature. But it seems to be more for business use than personal use.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Indeed the focus is on business users, but there is no reason why private users cannot use the feature. Just give it a try and set "page display style" to "Standard Greenalp Page" on the 3rd tab.
Ianfbrooks

Post by Ianfbrooks »

It looks to me like the current 'Guest URL' is a static link (that would not expire/the same for all) and could therefore become abused if it were circulated. An App developer I have worked with in the past managed to include the functionality of a dynamic guest link URL with an expiry date/time which makes potential abuse much, much more difficult and protects privacy. The date/time could be edited (whilst the link was still 'live') and extended/reduced/deleted as required. Very handy indeed if you want to be visible to one party but not another at different times - eg a contractor working for different (sometimes competing) companies (as I do).

I've always seen a potential for smartphone base FOC 'permission-based' tracking with all the more complex additional features/data analysis etc available on a pay-as-you-use basis. I've just started using RTGPST2 and early signs are that it is very good indeed.

I used to be an ICT professional so if you are ever looking for beta-testers for new developments/features, by all means get in contact.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This feature is already provided by the Greenalp "Track and Trace" feature. You can create dynamic links, configure at which time it should be valid, adding/remove users that should be displayed on the map, and so on.

The guest URL itself is static. But you can make it dynamic buy setting a guest password. You can change the guest password as often as you want.
Ianfbrooks

Post by Ianfbrooks »

The need for a password IS the problem - it needs to be a 'one-click-to-view' link, and by making it a dynamic URL, it cannot be re-used once expired (so is effectively secure).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
As I mentioned, you have two options. Please choose for yourself.

Option 1:
Try the "Track and Trace" feature, you can generate dynamic URLs which expires automatically.

Option 2:
If you use the static link you can use a guest password. This link expires as soon as you change the guest password. You can make the map accessible by including the guest password into the link. If you set the guest password in the web portal it will display the one-click link for you.
Ianfbrooks

Post by Ianfbrooks »

Can 'Tack and Trace' be initiated from the handset (I see the option on the desktop/browser but not from the App)?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, not yet. It is actually thought for business users with dispatcher. But might be added in the future.