Announcing new app: RTT2

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
Dusha

Re: Announcing new app: RT2

Post by Dusha »

admin wrote: - I'm aware that the status bar is too large. Therefore I made it scrollable. The most important fields are at the beginning, the not so important ones at the end. I expect that most users don't care about the hidden fields. If they want to seem them they just need to swipe the status bar.
Well, it really differs from user to user.
I personally do not care seeing "GPS accuracy" and "Satellites" at the beginning as I'm pretty much aware about this anyway.
I know that GPS works when outside and does not when inside (unless there are some HW issues) :)

Opposite to that, personally I find "Buffered locations" and "last GPS submit" (see below comment) very important as they can help controlling the actual data transmission / track quality.

BTW, since we have introduced new "Server update" interval (will be testing over weekend), I guess it has to be added to the status bar as well (e.g. "last Server update").
"last GPS submit" could be removed, IMHO.
If there is no data received from GPS - server will not be updated anyway (=last server update will show that, unless Network location is enabled), if the data is received from GPS, "Server Update" can be used to track the data posting anyway.

Cheers,
Sergey
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, you can drag and drop the statistics fields in the new version. This way everybody can configure the field order individually.

Server sync contains either gps or network location. So if a server sync takes place either the gps transmission field or the network transmission field (or both) is updated. It depends on the type of locations that have been sent during the sync.
jknorst

Post by jknorst »

Suggestion. Put a version number in the download file name so we know if we have it already or not.

Jack
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Above the link there is the version date. You can interpret it as version number.
Petere78

Post by Petere78 »

Hi,

Great job on the original RTT, looking forward to the new version. Just thought I'd mention a feature request here for the new version. Your SMS commands feature is useful, but it would be great if there was a way that the remote unit could reply to confirm it has carried out the command. I'm trying to restart a remote unit currently and it's not working. I know the SMS's are being recieved because i have delivery confirmations turned on, but I dont know what the software is doing.

Just a thought.

Pete
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
OK, I will think about that. But if you don't get a response although data connection is enabled on the phone you can be pretty sure that some app is blocking the SMS. Maybe you have installe a SMS app (e.g. Handcent SMS)?
Petere78

Post by Petere78 »

admin wrote:Hi,
OK, I will think about that. But if you don't get a response although data connection is enabled on the phone you can be pretty sure that some app is blocking the SMS. Maybe you have installe a SMS app (e.g. Handcent SMS)?
Phone is used only for RTT app and commands worked the other day, hence the thought about SMS reply from inside the app. Maybe a query command (rttquerypwd=xxx) sent to the phone makes the app reply with status like "App Started, GPS started, GPS Aquired, Login OK, Last send time xx:xx:xx, Battery xx%"
nav

Post by nav »

Great you are still developing the tracker!

As city cells started to provide 20-40m location precision thus in some cases eliminating need for switching to GPS, may I ask for:

1. Any reason not to enable tracking when only cell networks are utilized? Let's say if estimated accuracy within 50m, why not to have a (default auto-)track to appear?

2. Is MinDistance (for track decimation) from previous GPS location to write next coordinates (default 50m) applies to cell network too? From testing looks like that's only GPS option although I see no reasons not to extend it to save cell polling when not much movement happens.

3. Why not to put exponential calculation of location taking intervals: i.e. set MaxInterval like 4 hours, CellNetworkMinInterval like 30 seconds, and let the device detect still/steps/run/drive (or just measuring the distance:interval ratio diff between measurements, invalidating those with bad accuracy) and adjusting next interval either x2, x1 or x0.5 from the previous?
That algo may even completely eliminate the need for remote manual controlling the service via GCM or SMS as the such an algo mode would be extremely power efficient! Well, maybe except some GCM bit tickling with interval say 4...6h (=MaxInterval) to define if the tracker is still operational (not removed or phone not switched off), the battery has charge and the service was not accidentally stopped (GCM would resume it).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Actually I agree with you. I also thought that the strategy for saving trackpoints could be changed, although there are a few drawbacks with network locations as for example missing altitude and speed. So far I simply had not enough time for that. Maybe I can have a look at it during the next weeks. Min distance is more difficult as the complete logic is located in the GPS module. But I will have a look at that too. Changing the tracking algorithm will be very complicated. So I'm afraid there won't be enough time during the next few months.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BTW, since we have introduced new "Server update" interval (will be testing over weekend), I guess it has to be added to the status bar as well (e.g. "last Server update").
"last GPS submit" could be removed, IMHO.
If there is no data received from GPS - server will not be updated anyway (=last server update will show that, unless Network location is enabled), if the data is received from GPS, "Server Update" can be used to track the data posting anyway.
OK, I decided to change the timestamp display a bit. From now the app does not display the send time of GPS and network location anymore. Instead it displays the timestamp of those locations. In other words, instead of the send time the recording time is displayed. For the send time (last server sync time) a new field has been added.