App Randomly Stops on Both of Our Gal S8's With No Warning

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
SteveW

App Randomly Stops on Both of Our Gal S8's With No Warning

Post by SteveW »

My wife and I have been having this issue with RTT on our Galaxy S8's the last few weeks. Without warning, the app quits. You don't know it's stopped unless you happen to notice the icon missing in the notification bar. We don't usually find out it has stopped unless we check to see where someone is, and the last update from the phone when you look is 2 or more days ago.

Neither of us are shutting it down. I thought at first she was closing the app by mistake, however my phone is doing the same thing now.

Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this? We have autostart and autocontinue on already...
admin
Site Admin

Re: App Randomly Stops on Both of Our Gal S8's With No Warning

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,
I'm afraid this is another consequence of the Google Doze Mode feature and other features implemented by the phone vendors to save battery. Since Android 6 phones pause or completely shutdown long running apps/services, especially if they need more battery than the average does. As Real Time GPS Tracker uses GPS (which needs quite much battery) there will always be the risk that Android closes apps or services when the phone is on standby. The only recommendation that I can give here is not to run the app permanently but to start it for example when you leave your house or any other building and stop it when you enter a building, as inside buildings there is anyway no GPS reception. The positive side effect will be that your battery lasts longer.
jknorst

Post by jknorst »

Steve,

A whole lot of people are having this problem. There is an Android App called GPS Locker that solves the problem.
I've been testing it the last couple of days and it works great. The only caveat is that it eats up your battery. So keep your phone charging, if you can, while you travel. When done turn off the App.

Jack
jknorst

Post by jknorst »

Admin,

Would you contact SteveW and let him know about my above Reply.

Thanks,
Jack
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Thanks a lot for hint. SteveW should have already received a notification because this is automatically sent by the Forum software. I will definitely also keep this information in my mind so I can suggest this solution to other users when they have a similar problem. Thanks again!
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

For some reason didn't get the forum notification... Thanks for the replies!