App Not Updating Location

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
admin
Site Admin

Re: App Not Updating Location

Post by admin »

There is no logic. I can only say that Android doze mode is a problem for many apps and makes Android quite unreliable if it's about periodically wake ups. Samsung is one of the "bad" vendors. There are even some petitions in the Internet. Have a look at https://dontkillmyapp.com

Have you tried to install the Greenalp Alarm Service?
Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

Thanks for the prompt reply

I agree that this Android optimise setting is a pain and has caught me out before.

I do have 4 apps set to never go to sleep :

Norton
RTT1
RTT Alarm Service
Arlo

RTT2 added yesterday.

What I have now done, as a test, is to force a stop on RTT1 in case that is stealing some process. I'll monitor today and report back.

It does seem strange that I can watch RTT1 go from ~ 0 secs to ~ 30 secs and then the friend location is updated in a regular cycle.

RTT2 however goes from ~ 0 secs and will keep on counting up with no location update.
I don't think it is sleep connected as I'm watching the app so it's awake.
Last edited by Kremmen on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

I've been doing some testing:

There must be something different that is stopping the updating on RTT2 that used to work perfectly on RTT1
Last edited by Kremmen on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

Works perfectly on my Samsung phone though.

= my Samsung Tab S3 doesn't like v2 :(
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,
you mentioned one interesting point. Did you mean that the tracked phone (the one that should publish it's location) is working, but the other phone that you just use to display the tracked phone doesn't fetch the updated location from the server? I don't think that this problem would be caused by doze mode. Doze mode only affects the sending of updates but not the viewer.
Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

Yes, the phone that is 'transmitting' is a Samsung S7, running RTT1 and that is set to transmit every 30 secs.

It's the one labelled 'diggy' so you can probably see it yourself.

My problem is my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, that just refuses to show the updated location, as per the screenshots, that rose to 9 minutes +, in the above screenshots in 30 second chunks. The time continues to count up but the location freezes.

I've gone back to RTT1 (v78 without the upgrade message) and that updates 'diggy' OK. RTT2 doesn't. My Samsung S10 phone, running RTT2 works perfectly receiving 'diggy'.

Very odd !

Be nice to get RTT2 working
Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

Hmmm.......

RTT1 is now producing the same behaviour on the tablet. It will display a correct location when first opened but then doesn't refresh the location unless I fully close the app and reopen it.

I've reinstalled RTT2 and I'll dig around to see if I can find anything. Both apps are in the devices 'memory' list as not to be checked and closed to save power.

Both my phone and tablet have identical settings, phone updates her location regularly whilst open but the tablet doesn't, both at home using wifi.

Nothing you can do, just leave it with me.
Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

Update ....

After some hours testing, with various settings, it looks like Android Pie on my Wifi only Samsung Tablet is stopping the device performing a regular 'poll' of the tracked device.

When first opened (Both RTT1 and RTT2) is only performing an instant location check. After that, the onscreen time display is continually counting up with no location fix.

On my Samsung phone, also with Pie it seems to work most of the time but it's my tablet I need it to work on.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, the only I can do here is to send you a debug version which creates a logfile on your sd-card. Would like me to do that?