Doze Mode Settings suggestions?

Please post your questions/comments here. You are also very welcome to support other users if you think you can help them.
tiguan

Doze Mode Settings suggestions?

Post by tiguan »

I upgraded my Xperia Z3 compact to Oreo 8.1 Omni, and now, due to doze-Mode, tracking does not start properly after inactivity, but only after significant time periods (e.g. 30 minutes). Luckily OmniROM allows individual setting of the doze-parameters (30+). Do you have a suggestion, which doze-parameters are best set, so that your tracking app works properly? Since this is the only relevant app installed - no need to take care of others.
tiguan

Re: Doze Mode Settings suggestions?

Post by tiguan »

My findings:

After a few tests it seems that there are these 2 parameters to change:
inactive_to: standard is 1800s to e.g. 120s -> should start recording after this time
motion_inactive_to: standard is 600s to e.g. 30s -> checks initial location changes faster

These changes make tracking work well again, except standby location is based on network location and not on GPS (maybe weak GPS signal) changed therefor:
locating_to: standard is 30s to e.g. 60s -> should give longer time to capture better location data

Does this make sense?

Anyway: App is registered as "not optimized"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
On my test phone actually the tracker works quite well although I haven't modified the phone (it runs stock Android - nearly any customizations by the manufacturer). I found some hints about the meaning of those values here https://github.com/p0isonra1n/Doze-Settings-Editor

According to this I would not decrease but increase the values. For example if you set inactive_to to 120 second, your phone will go to doze mode after a very short time. I guess you want to opposite, right?
tiguan

Post by tiguan »

Actually I do not mind a fast doze-mode activation, as the screen is always off. What I want to achieve is a fast reactivation, when starting moving the phone. And since this took around 30 minutes with standard settings, and the only parameter having such a long time period is inactive_to I assumed this one might be the cause. And if I monitor the phone now, it wakes up much faster ….

The Z3compact runs as supported OS only 6.0.1 and has no issue at all running your tracker - maybe if rooted and with 8.1 OmniROM installed it behaves differently.

Thank you for the feedback, I see my issue is not generic and we should close the topic.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, thank you for your input. I think this topic can be interesting for other users too so I appreciate your tests very much. I hope that Google will improve doze mode anyway.